Monday, June 27, 2011

Continuing the preparation work for abstract quilt "Picked Clean". . .

As I was beginning to work on prepping my fabric choices for my abstract quilt project, I decided to make a change in my technique.  I went back to my preferred applique technique of using shirt-tailor interfacing for my stabilizer.  This interfacing is my preference as it is fusible and a heavy enough stabilizer to keep all of my thread work flat.  It's also thick enough to create a stiff edge to fold the seam allowance over.  Freezer paper and tear-away stabilizer are now no longer necessary for the individual segments.  I drew the full pattern on the interfacing and cut out the segments.  The interfacing segments were then placed on the corresponding fabric and fused.
Stay-stitching was then sewn around each segment that is going to be embellished prior to cutting the fabric segments apart.  If embellishment is not required, stay-stitching is not required as the stay-stitching acts as a pattern outline.  
All pieces were cut apart with approximately 1/2" seam allowance.  I am now ready to begin embellishing. 

This change of technique demonstrates how trying and using a new technique a few times will then allow you, as the artist, to keep what works, throw out what doesn't, and eventually make it yours.

No comments: