Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Creating leaves for Melon Study. . .

Although I still need to paint the melons, I have put the leaves together as I was interested in pulling all elements of the quilt together.
As you can see, the leaves are spiky.  The technique I used included freezer paper and glue.
I drew the reversed pattern pieces on freezer paper and pressed it to the backside of the leaf fabric.  The pieces were then cut out with approximately 1/4" seam allowance left all around.  The leaf spikes were turned over onto the freezer paper and glued.  The freezer paper was left on to match each leaf section's seam allowance.  The seams were sewn with a 1/4" seam allowance.  Once sewn and pressed, the freezer paper was then pulled off the fabric.  You can see the freezer paper on the leaf tips where they were glued.  As this is going to be a wallhanging, I am not feeling motivated to worry about taking the paper out of the tips.
Well, I've gone as far as I can with this piece without doing the painting.  As painting is new to me, I am a little timid to perform this next step, but will do so this weekend.  I'll be sure to keep you updated.

No comments: